Website flipping can be a quick way to make money online. The term comes from the real estate industry, where “fixer-upper” homes can be purchased at discounted prices, renovated and then “flipped” to another buyer at a higher price.
With websites, the process is similar. You can buy and “re-hab” an existing site, or you can build a brand-new site with the intention of selling it quickly. Some website flippers prefer to add content and backlinks so that their sites build in value over a period of a few months before selling them.
Like most things in life, it’s a little more difficult than it sounds. You’ll need to do some market research to find topics that people are willing to spend money on. If you don’t know how to set up a hosting account or register a domain name, you might want to start by building sites on free services like Weebly or Squidoo.
There are a number of sites on the Internet where you can buy and sell websites. A few are free; most charge a fee of some kind – either a listing fee or a success fee or both. Some of the sites make it extremely difficult to find out what fees are actually charged.
Here’s a short list:
- eBay.com – eBay is quite popular, although bid prices tend to be on the low side. Try the regional sites,eBay.co.uk, eBay.ca and eBay.com.au as well. eBay has a complicated system of listing fees and success fees, which I won’t get into here – there is no listing fee for the first 5 items in a 30-day period.
- DigitalPoint forumYou need to be a member for at least 14 days and have made 25 or more posts before you can post in the Buy,Sell or Trade Forum.
- The Warrior Forum has a sub-forum called Websites For Sale. There is a $20 listing fee and you must be a member of the WAR Room to post offers ($37 once-off).
- ViperSelling – geared towards selling viable online businesses older than 6 months. No listing fee, 10% success fee.
- SiteDeal – currently no listing or success fees.
- Webmaster-TalkNo listing fees.
- WebmastersMarketplace – $5 listing fee, no success fees.
- WebsiteBroker.com – 90 day standard listing fee is $9.95. No success fee.
- Flippa – a spinoff from the SitePoint Marketplace. They charge a listing fee of $19.00 and a success fee of 5%, which can be split between the buyer and the seller.
Tags: flip, flipping, selling websites, website flipping